2020 GRADUATE STUDENT AND POST-DOCTORAL FELLOWS RESEARCH AWARDS COMPETITION
February 12, 2020 6-9 PM, Stewart 214 A-D
Call for Abstracts / Posters
The Purdue University Chapter of Sigma Xi, the scientific research society, is conducting a Graduate Student and Post-Doctoral Fellow Research Awards Competition in the format of a scientific poster session. You and your advisor do not need to be Sigma Xi members to participate in this competition. Also, you do not need a brand new finding. You can use a recent poster presented at a scientific conference or meeting.
There will be a first prize of $200, provided by Sigma Xi, as well as recognition for other outstanding posters in each of the four research areas:
- Graduate Student, Physical Sciences
- Graduate Student, Life and Agricultural Sciences
- Graduate Student, Engineering
- Graduate Student, Behavioral and Social Sciences
- Post-doctoral, Behavioral Sciences
- Post-doctoral, Physical, Life and Engineering Sciences
There will be one prize for each approximately 15 posters in a research area. In recent years, this has resulted in 2-3 top awards in both Life Sciences and in Engineering. Post-doctoral Fellows also are eligible to participate. There will be one award for post-doctoral fellows across the two post-doc categories.
1. Submit an abstract of your research by 11:59 PM, Tuesday February 04, 2020. These will be published in a booklet. Use the form at then end of this document. Applications, in electronic format, should be submitted to email@example.com<mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>. At the end of this document you will find the abstract application and abstract template. Abstracts should be in MS-Word format, no more than 150 words (title and authors not counted in word count).
2. Present a poster at the 2020 SIGMA XI GRADUATE STUDENT AND POST-DOCTORAL RESEARCH AWARDS COMPETITION POSTER SESSION in Stewart Center, Rooms 214A, B, C, D on Wednesday, February 12, 2020. Posters will be setup between 2:30 – 4:30 pm. Presentation and judging is from 6:00 – 9:00 pm. Presenters are requested to put up their posters by 4:30 pm and to be at their posters from 6:00- 8:30 pm to answer questions from the judges. You will provide a five (5) minute (No Longer!) presentation about your work to each judge. Practice your presentation, so that it is no longer than five minutes. At the end of this document a sample reviewer-judging sheet is shown to help you prepare a poster and three-minute presentation.
3. Posters selected for an award will be displayed at the Annual Sigma Xi Initiation Banquet to be held in the John Purdue Room in Marriott Hall in April (Date tbd). In addition, all award winners and those recognized for Honorable Mention will be invited to attend the banquet in recognition of their outstanding research endeavors. You will also present your poster prior to dinner (more instructions later)
This is an excellent opportunity to learn about the excellence and diversity of scientific research at Purdue as well as to make others aware of your contributions. All graduate students and post-doctoral researchers with appropriate research experiences are urged to participate in this competition.
For additional information, please contact:
Howard N. Zelaznik, Chairperson
Sigma Xi Graduate Student and Post-Doctoral Research Awards Competition Department of Health and Kinesiology
(765-494-5601 or email@example.com)